Friday 18 January 2013

thinking aloud

Lately, I have been feeling the need to connect and come closer to our students. Though I don't have a specific reason for feeling this need, I surely know that it would do good if the students get to know the idealogy,  the logic and the thought process behind various initiatives of the college.

Yesterday, I have gone to a class room and asked their opinion on making speaking in English compulsory on the campus. To my pleasant surprise, the response was overwhelming. I just expected a few nods and that I had to try to convince or counsel the rest for the imperativeness of English as the main medium of communication. After seeing the whole hearted response, I felt sorry for having not done this few years back. Few years ago, some students requested us to make it mandatory to speak in English, but we thought it would be difficult to implement as the students might not like it. Now I know it was a blunder we had made. We already lost a few years and some batches.

Anyhow, now that the implementation has begun, I hope all of our students take to English like fish to water.
I thank the alumni of VVIT for suggesting this move after feeling the need to communicate effectively in English for taking on the real world after passing out from the college.

No comments:

Post a Comment